22 November 2008

Capsicum

Capsicum Jingle Belles – capsicum annuum

Last year 90% of the Burpee red peppers ended up in red onion and capsicum relish (mmmm – still one jar left under guard), so I thought it would be fun to plant some more capsicum just for general use. Jingle Belles are mini capsicum in a mix of colours - but I assume this isn't all on the same plant? I can probably fit two plants in the small corner bed I've earmarked for them.

Capsicum need higher soil temperatures to germinate and stay happy. I should see some action shortly as they take 8 to 20 days to germinate (last year they took around 15) and they've already have six (so perhaps I'm too impatient then). They should be planted around 50cm apart in a warm sunny spot, well mulched to keep the soil temperature up, and will grow a metre high. Jingle Belles need staking as they are allegedly very prolific, and should be watered extra well (including with liquid fertilizer) as the fruit forms. Capsicum apparently particularly like seaweed or fish emulsion fertilizers, so the Nitrosol Organic (which I haven't seen on shelves for a while, everyone's got the ordinary Nitrosol but not the organic) should do nicely.

Last year I sowed in September, transplanted into the ground 25 November, had baby peppers by 7 Jan (was away over Christmas so not sure exactly when they appeared) and the first one was fully red by 13 February which is 12 weeks from transplanting. This year I have sown later as I already had one plant from last year, and will transplant any new seedlings much quicker, so it will be interesting to see if they catch up.

No comments: