22 September 2008

Parsley and Coriander

A couple of herbs were sown yesterday:

* Parsley - "Italian Plain Leaf" Petroselinum hortense from Kings Seeds

Germinates in soil temperatures of 15-25°, takes 14 to 21 days to germinate and will grow around 50cm high once transplanted outside spaced 30cm apart. It's an biennual so I'll have to think carefully about where to put it. I planted some of these on Sunday.

* Coriander - "Indian Summer" Coriandrum sativum from Kings Seeds

Germinates in soil temperatures of 15-25°, direct sow 5cm apart, takes 7 to 10 days to germinate and will grow around 30cm high. It's an annual, but will proliferate all by itself next year if you let it go to seed.

I did grow one of these indoors last year. We don't use that much coriander, but I'm keen to have one indoors and one outdoors just to see the difference. I also sowed these on Sunday – completely forgetting to sow either in their final pots or in eggcarton compartments (which can be transferred straight into the ground outside), so I guess I'll be transplanting and seeing how they go.

No comments: