26 September 2008

Beetroot

Detroit Dark Red (organic) and Albino, both beta vulgaris var crassa from Kings Seeds

Germinates in soil temperatures of 15-25°. Most of my books claim that beetroot transplants badly, but Kings have all their (non-organic) beetroot as transplant rather than direct sow, so who knows? I think I'll run with direct sow though. Soak the seeds in water overnight (which I'm doing tonight), then sow 2cm deep and 15cm apart with germination after 10 to 15 days. Harvest due at 55 days.

As they take a while, and you can't eat them all at once (although I'm eyeing them up to bottle as relish which will go nicely on burgers), I have to remember successive sowings every fortnight. However they do keep for several weeks out of the fridge or much longer in the fridge, so that's helpful.

Last year I wasn't very successful with the beetroot – I suddenly took a fancy to growing some in late Feb so did some direct sowing, and they did germinate but evidently weren't happy (not enough sun? not enough water? dodgy soil?) as they stayed in a perpetual seedling state with nothing going on under the ground. This year they'll be going in the primo spot in the garden in the hope they like that a bit better - this is the same bed as the spring onions, and the first sowings of both veges should be ready about the same time.

No comments: