07 February 2009

Weekend roundup

The heat is getting just a tad monotonous, is it not? I hosed the garden down again this morning (quite a mission as the hose is at the other end of the house), and noticed the following:

* The spring onions and the onions (which are particularly weak looking) are still suffering from the purple aphids, it doesn't seem to matter how much I water them

* Whitefly is back, this time on the underside of the tender new purple broccoli seedlings and on some of the citrus. I will try to remember to spray with Neem tonight.

* I seem to have planted the basil a bit late (although it will still get there - mmm pesto) and the eggplant very late - must try harder next year!

Here's my poor exhausted tomato plants mid way through the harvest:

Red Russian in the foreground, Green Zebra in the middle and Watermouth at the back. The San Marzanos are below:


And lastly, my courgette. I've been trying to get a photo of this for a while, but had to wait until all the leaves in the immediate vicinity were gone. You can see the vine coming out of the ground (it always surprises me just how dead it looks once it's dried and split, but evidently it still does the job), then it splits into two! Is this common? Both ends are equally sturdy and as productive as the average plant so I have two for the price of one.

2 comments:

LeatherneckJoe said...

It really looks like they are not getting enough water. If you need replacement plants, Garden Harvest Supply offers over 200 varieties of potted vegetable plants. http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/category/home-garden-plants-potted

Alex Coles said...

Thanks Joe - it's too late in the season here to be planting fresh tomato plants, but I will do my best to keep up the watering regime for the remaining plants in the garden (and resolve to do better next summer!) - I've gotten a good crop out of the tomatoes this year, so I'm not complaining.