08 January 2009

Update on the tomatoes

I spent a bit of time tidying up the tomatoes this morning - I have planted them a smidge too close together, they all seem to have quite vigorous foliage, and they're starting to fall backwards onto the lemon tree despite the sturdy 1.5m metal-core stakes, so the end result is one big tangled mess!


This is of course Not Good - airflow being particularly important given Auckland's humidity - so I have retied each plant to its more-firmly-bashed-in stake and cut off a lot of leaves close to the ground (and accidentally lopped off the main stem of one of the Russian Reds - still, it looked like something had been a-nibbling on the tomatoes of that stem, probably the caterpillars I found scooting their way across the soil beneath).

Variety by variety:

Green Zebra - would be around 1.5m if they would just grow straight up! One of them is growing in a complete Y shape with the fork not far from the gound, so hopefully it can support itself throughout the upcoming ripening weeks. These are very pretty so far.



Next to the pair of Green Zebras are my Russian Reds, a repeat sowing from last year. These seem to be much sturdier than last year but I think this is because I have the laterals under control. They're barely a metre tall though, so quite squat compared to the others. You can see in the photo that something's been nibbling on the leaves.



Next in line is the Watermouth. Now that I have pruned a bit I can actually see these two plants. They are very nice, 1.5m tall, and seem to behave themselves compared to the others.



Rounding the corner are my problem children, the three Romas. These disregard every suggestion I give them as to how they should grow, preferring instead to sag to the ground and get themselves tangled up with each other and their neighbours. They had better pass the taste test when saucing time rolls around or I'll be giving them a miss next year...



Lastly are my two San Marzano. These are tall ones as well, almost 1.5m, and are fruiting in attractive bunches. I can't wait to see if they taste good!



I don't think any of them will make the mid-January harvest time. They're getting to the right size, but no sign of any of them starting to ripen up as yet. I do need to get organised with netting of some kind now though - I'm on to you this year, birds!!

No comments: