29 October 2008

Other sowings

The last two seeds that I sowed on Monday were both herbs, but ones that are primarily for other uses beyond culinary or medicinal.

Borage – borago officinalis from Kings Seeds

Germinates in soil temperatures of 18-25°, takes 7 to 14 days to germinate and are a direct-sown (30cm apart) annual - I've actually sown these into eggcartons so I can keep an eye on them initially then pop the whole thing in the ground once I'm sure there's some action. I'm growing this as it's a good bee plant - the blue flowers are also pretty, and edible! I want to put some of these around by the front path, so the bees come round that side of the house to check out the courgettes and citrus – might as well see if they grow okay in the shade, as well as the sun.

Catnip – nepeta cataria from Kings Seeds

Germinates in soil temperatures of 18-25°, takes 7 to 10 days to germinate, and grow perfectly well in pots (my plant from last summer is disturbingly healthy) but otherwise can be planted out 30cm apart as a 30cm high perennial. I've been pruning and drying as each stem got a bit big, but it's going to take a lot of foliage to make a cat toy! And Bugsy seems pretty fond of the leaves au natural, fresh off (or on) the plant. Highly recommended!

No comments: