13 January 2010

Second sowing

Just did a second sowing of my winter root crops - beetroot, carrot and parsnip. I also thinned out the first sowing of beetroot a bit (and even popped those leaves in the salad leaf bowl in the fridge rather than tossing them), and will need to do the same with the carrots but want to wait until they get a bit bigger first, they still look fairly insubstantial. Three of the first parsnip sowing have now germinated, they were quite a bit slower than the others.

Interestingly enough, I've now become quite a fan of direct sowing. The first year of gardening I needed the reassurance that seeds will actually germinate and grow, now I can't be bothered with all that transplanting - just sprinkle some seeds on the ground and see what happens!

Oooh - and one of the Dali tomatoes now has a yellow tinge instead of green :)

No comments: