30 December 2009

Carrots!

Well, not just yet. Can't quite remember when (the Monday before Christmas I think? so 21st December), but I did some direct sowing of beetroot, carrots (new!), parsnips (new!), peas, spring onions and red spring onions (new!), rocket, lettuce and mesclun. I've been having to hose the garden every other morning as it's been relatively dry, but there's germination now from everything with the stubborn exception of the Danyelle lettuce - this is the second sowing of this and absolutely nothing. The success of the Cos lettuce makes up for it though, these are lovely and crisp and look great in the ground as well on the plate.

I think next year I will ditch the mixed mesclun and just sow the few things we like within that mix - if only I can figure out what they are! Baby spinach is definitely one, and a buttercrunch-type. That, along with the cos and the rocket, should cover our lettuce needs.

I never got around to removing that first pea plant that died - and oddly enough, several days after my last post it suddenly decided to send up fresh new shoots from its base! I'm waiting until these new shoots are tall enough to reach my first "rung" of string before trimming off the old dead growth, and there's already a tiny pod in the new growth. There's also three new pea plants from the pre-Christmas sowing, so things are looking up on the pea front.

The potatoes taste awesome, by the way.

No comments: